Ordering textbooks and other materials is easy. Be sure to make a hard copy (printout) of your course material from your course Syllabus and take it with you when you go to the bookstore so you know for sure what you need to order.
- How Do I Order My Distance Learning Course Books?
- How Do I Get My Textbook Refund?
- How Do I Order Other Course Materials?
- Using eBooks
How do I order my Distance Learning Course books?
Ordering your ELI Distance Learning books and other course materials for NOVA distance courses is easy. Just go to http://nvcc-eli.bncollege.com. Note: ELI distance learning course sections begin with an "E". You may order textbooks and other course materials by any of the following methods:
- Online (preferred) (Note: Students can now use their Financial Aid to purchase their books online.)
- In Person
A complete list of course materials appears in your course syllabus. If you are unable to locate it, contact your professor directly.
If you wish to pay for textbooks with financial aid, use this form.
You have three weeks from your ELI Start Date to return your textbooks and course materials for a full refund. All items must be in original condition. Proof of purchase and start date are required. You must present a NOVA ID in order to return textbooks at any VCCS bookstore. You can return your books to any of the NOVA campus bookstores or ship the book(s) to the Alexandria Campus Bookstore, 3101 Beauregard Street, Alexandria, VA 22311. All rental books must be returned to the Alexandria Campus location.
ELI Course Guides: Most Course Guides for ELI distance learning courses are available at no charge on the Distance Learning website at eli.nvcc.edu/courses.htm. Video broadcasts: If you are taking a telecourse or a course using video, you may access the video programs in several ways. Course videos are broadcast over local PBS stations. See the ELI Telecourse Broadcast Schedule for more information. A second, more convenient option is to view the videos on demand from your home or office computer or at any NOVA campus computer center.
Software: Sometimes software is required for distance courses. Many can be downloaded free of charge. Make sure you notice the location on your hard drive to where you download the program. After finishing downloading, locate it, and then double click to install it by following the online instructions.
Some publishers are making textbooks available in an electronic format. You can purchase access to these electronic versions through the ELI Bookstore website or the publisher’s site. If you are considering purchasing an electronic version of a textbook rather than a hardback textbook, be aware of the following information:
- If your course allows open-book exams, you will not be able to use your electronic text, printouts of the electronic text or copies of the pages of a hardback textbook during the exam. If you will want to use your book on these open-book exams, you should opt to buy a physical book rather than an eBook.
- Unlike a hardback textbook, eBooks cannot be returned.
- Access to an eBook may expire after a period of time. If you need the text for a second semester or get an extension to complete the course, you need to make sure you have enough time to complete the course(s).
- Some publishers block printing from electronic textbooks.
- Some publishers block the use of screen readers when accessing the electronic textbooks.
To determine what restrictions the publisher has placed on the eBook you are considering purchasing, after you have searched for the book in the Digital Textbooks site, click the book title and then click “eContent Details” on the ELI Bookstore website.
Textbooks are available for all ELI distance learning courses through the ELI Bookstore website. American Express, VISA, Mastercard and Discover are accepted forms of payment. Allow 1 - 2 business days for processing. See steps below.
Steps to Order Online:
- Click on the Textbook link.
- Select Term (e.g. Spring 2013).
- Select Department (e.g. ENG, HIS, ADJ).
- Select Course Number (e.g. 101, 102, 201).
- Select Section Number.
- Click on Add Course, then View Textbook List.
- Follow the rest of the directions to purchase your books.
If you prefer to pick up your textbooks in person, ELI textbooks currently are available only at the Alexandria Campus Bookstore. If you have questions, you may call 1.888.SHIPTEXT or 703.671.0043 to speak to a bookstore representative.